Monday, October 25, 2010

Title: Immortal Beloved 
Author: Cate Tiernan
Publisher: Little Brown Books For Young Readers
Published: September 7, 2010
Format: Hardcover $18.99
Age Group: Young Adult
Copy: Provided by publisher


Click here to browse inside this book


Synopsis:  


Nastasya has spent the last century living as a spoiled, drugged-out party girl. She feels nothing and cares for no one. But when she witnesses her best friend, a Dark Immortal, torture a human, she realizes something's got to change. She seeks refuge at a rehab for wayward immortals, where she meets the gorgeous, undeniably sexy Reyn, who seems inexplicably linked to her past.

Nastasya finally begins to deal with life, and even feels safe--until the night she learns that someone wants her dead.


My Review: 

Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan was a captivating coming of age story but with a unique and intriguing twist.  Somewhere within the first few chapters I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the main character Nastasya or "Nasty" as she is known by her friends, is actually a 400 year old immortal not just another teenage vampire.  The concept of immortals in this novel is slightly difficult to explain but the best comparison I can think of is immortals of the likes you find in the Highlander series. 

As a protagonist Nasty is witty, sarcastic and childish despite the four centuries she has under her belt.  In the beginning I didn't find her altogether believable or likable but I was so captivated by the story that I couldn't put the book down.  As the novel progressed and I learned more about Nasty's history, I began to invest in her as a character and chapter by chapter she grew on me. 

The vast majority of this novel takes place in a rehab facility for immortals and the characters you meet there are quite interesting.  I enjoyed the magical element that is introduced while Nasty is at the rehab center and as she is taken by visions of her past and the truth about who she was/is is slowly revealed my love of Immortal Beloved solidified.

I would be remiss in my duties as a book reviewer if I didn't mention the romantic element of this novel.  Reyn is an interesting love interest in that he sends very mixed signals about his interest in Nasty a la Bella and Edward.  There relationship becomes much more complex as the mystery of their past relationship is revealed through Nasty's visions. 

My only bone to pick with this novel is the same one I have to pick with all books about immortals written for young adults. Although they may be incredibly entertaining the amount of teenage angst present in the young adult "immortal" characters is not believable because I believe that after centuries of life experience (love, loss, death, joy, pain, etc) you likely would not be an angsty childish individual. With that said without the angst what would there be for us to identify with and alas the book would not appeal so much to young adult and myself. Its a bit of a catch 22.

If you are looking for a novel that has something other then vampires, werewolves and faeries to offer this is the next book for you. The ending of this book left things wide open for the next installment.  I look forward to reading more about Nasty's unique history and if after discovering the truth about her heritage if her personality begins to reflect the maturity that should come with the life experiences she has endured.  


My Rating: 4/5


2 comments:

CHRISTIE said...

Fantastic review! Totally agree on the angst. I really liked this book, but didn’t think the dialogue or drama did Nastasya’s character justice.

The Book Guru said...

Now that she remembers her history I really look forward to seeing if she changes. Thanks for commenting!

Post a Comment