Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Title: Paranormalcy 
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: August 31, 2010
Format: Hardcover ($18.99 CDN)
Age Group: Young Adult

Click here to browse inside the book
Copy provided by publisher


Synopsis: 

Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.

But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.

My Review: 

My favorite thing about Paranormalcy was Evie.  She's genuine, honest, funny, sassy, loves pink and names her weapons.  She is also lost and a little bit flawed which makes her all the more believable and lovable as a character. My second favorite thing about Parnormalcy is Evie's new love interest, Lend the shape-shifter. For most of us paranormal/urban fantasy junkies, the term "shifter" usually refers to a person who can turn into an animal but in Parnormalcy this is not the case (I am not giving anymore about Lend away you'll have to read it to find out for yourself!). 

Kiersten White's character description has enough depth to make the characters believable and kept me turning the pages one after the other until suddenly the book was over. After checking out Kiersten White's website I may not be far off in saying Evie's sass and humour are at least in part a reflection of Kiersten's own personality.

I love the little twists that Kiersten does on "traditional" paranormal myths and I was left wanting a little more description of the world she had created in Paranormalcy. With that said a lot of readers find that to much description actually takes away form the story and they become bored with it. I on the other hand usually enjoy a thorough description of EVERYTHING.

To sum it all up, I love the plot, the characters, the flow of Kiersten's writing  and  Kiersten's twist on the paranormal but I want more of all of it. Lucky for me there are two sequels to follow with the next installment, Supernaturally due out Fall 2011.

My Rating: 4/5

011.
Extras: 

3 comments:

Lola said...

Glad you enjoyed this one! I am really looking forward to reading it! :)

Heather said...

This sounds so good. I think I even have it on my TBR list. will double check so i don't miss it. Thanks.

Tahlia said...

I liked it too but plot holes bugged me. That cut one star from my rating. I wanted to give it 5 I really did, but I just couldn't.

Spoilers now.

Reith kept trying to fill Evie but when she wanted to take it from him later, he was terrified - um excuse me. Is there something I'm missing there?

I also wanted to know why and how she was made. I guess I'll have to read more to find out.

Post a Comment